Saturday, July 22, 2006

Another bass update! Less than two days left.

First:
- A great article on why you should reconsider using "MS Word" documents. Security and formating reasons; good read. Just say no to "Word" documents.

- A webpage about a fish to amphibian "missing link" fossil found on Ellesmere Island, way up North, in the Canadian Arctic. LINK.
{Excerpt} "Tiktaalik was discovered in Devonian-aged rocks of Ellesmere Island, Nunavut, Canada. This land is ideal for fossil hunting because unlike much of the rest of North America, there is very little vegetation due to the extreme winter temperatures, the short growing season, and the permafrost. With rock faces exposed, it's easy to spot fossils eroding out of the sediments."

- Native-Art and Can-Con bonus!:

CBC Radio program Between The Covers is now posting their readings,online (link), a week after they are broadcast, for a month afterwards.

This means that you and I can catch up on the bits missed from Graham Greene's reading of Thomas King's mystery novel, The Red Power Murders(Amazon.Ca link), which are available for download from the CBC; July 17 until August 4.
[These are RAM files, which mean that you will need Real Audio Player to listen.]


I met Mr. King while he was a professor at a St. Paul (Minnesota) college about ten years ago, through another artist. I think we had lunch and he took my pic for his "Lone Ranger Project": A collection of Native artists, photographed wearing the black mask. I'm still waiting for that book, Tom. He has since moved back to Canada and teaches in Guelph, Ontario, is still writing and doing radio. I missed his first "Dead Dog Cafe" radio series, because I was still in the states at the time, but I have been listening to installations of "Dead Dog, In The City" on CBC Radio.

Alright; back to the fishy business. Pics click to enlarge.

Bass sculpture for the Fort Frances Canadian Bass Championaship; Bingorage Studio, Broken Vulture Art
Filling the voids in the mouth.

Bass sculpture for the Fort Frances Canadian Bass Championaship; Bingorage Studio, Broken Vulture Art
Taping the first lower rear fin on. I didn't know it, at this point, but I was making a huge booboo. You can see the placement of the fin, here, as the first of a pair...
BUT; there should only be one fin, there.

Bass sculpture for the Fort Frances Canadian Bass Championaship; Bingorage Studio, Broken Vulture Art
So; of course, I papered it on and let it dry.


Bass sculpture for the Fort Frances Canadian Bass Championaship; Bingorage Studio, Broken Vulture Art
After tearing off the dried fin, I reattached it in the anatomically correct position...

Bass sculpture for the Fort Frances Canadian Bass Championaship; Bingorage Studio, Broken Vulture Art
and bridged the gap.

Bass sculpture base, for the Fort Frances Canadian Bass Championaship; Bingorage Studio, Broken Vulture Art The stand.

Bass sculpture stand, for the Fort Frances Canadian Bass Championaship; Bingorage Studio, Broken Vulture Art detail

Bass sculpture for the Fort Frances Canadian Bass Championaship; Bingorage Studio, Broken Vulture Art
The Bass is mounted. Finally.

I forgot to take my camera with, my last few hours at the studio, last night; so, I cannot show you the first paint and eye details - but I will get those pics soon.





No comments: