Sunday, April 27, 2008

Borders Uncrossed

The Cost of Silence

I am writing this letter as an apology to people who have migrated here from Mexico, Central America and South America. I am Anishinabe, Indigenous to what is now called Minnesota. I am also a playwright. Within the last year I was approached by a production company, OffLeash Area, to write a play with them called Border Crossing. It was my understanding this play would address the inhumane issues people confront when entering the United States.

As a Native American, I am interested in the stories of the indigenous people of this continent we call Turtle Island and the peoples of what is now known as South America. I am interested in the impact the building of the wall between Mexico and the United States has on Native Nations whose reservations created by the United States straddle this man-made border, also made by the United States. That is part of the story I had hoped to tell. In November 07, I did research for a week in the Sonora desert southwest of Tucson on the Tohono O'odham Reservation. I had hoped to include a very strong voice for Indigenous people in this piece. I had hoped to include a very strong voice for Migrant people in this piece.

In my interviews with people I heard stories of inhumane treatment. I heard stories of a sea of sorrow – a desert littered with the bones of people trying to get here for a better future for themselves and for their future generations. I heard stories of joy, hope, survival and celebration.

I am writing this apology because this is not the story that is being told in Border Crossing. It is not your story and your voice has been removed from the piece. I wrote dialogue for native peoples. That dialogue was cut. I wrote dialogue for the characters crossing the desert. That dialogue was cut. I argued to give voice to the oppressed. My voice was silenced. I am sorry. I understand any anger on your part where you would question why I, as a Native American, would have thought that I could tell your story.

If you have questions or comments to me, I am open to dialogue.

Miigwitch.

Marcie Rendon, Anishinabe Playwright
MRendon703@aol.com

MinnPost review of "Border Crossing". April 24 through May 4, 2008: The Ritz Theatre, 345 13th Ave NE Minneapolis, MN.

Off-Leash Area theater's "upcoming shows" section.

MPLS Strib review.

---

Conmen Guilty of Selling Indian Tribe Memberships to Illegals.

---



From my buddy, Ryan, at Moose Guts Live.

---

What are Chinese troops doing on the streets of Zimbabwe? Could it have anything to do with the fact that Mugabe lost the election and has bought tons of munitions [from China]. Since then, responsible African port nations have refused to offload.

---

Canadian Copyright takes another hit from the lobbyists.

---

Missing Man Found Dressed Like Doctor With Dead Deer In Stolen Ambulance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
text

text
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inside Norval Morrisseau's blog.

Litefoot carries a green message.

American Indian Airwaves Myspace page.

---

A Celebration of Canadian Aboriginal Women in Music. Ottawa's Westboro Festival of Music; "WestFest". Saturday, June 14, 2008.
Buffy Ste. Marie
Nukariik
Tamara Podemski
Lucie Idlout
and others

---

The ArtsCan Circle.
"The ArtsCan Circle is an independent, volunteer-run group working to link creative artists with Native youth at risk in Canada. Our hope is to encourage self-esteem amongst Native youth in isolated communities through a cooperative exploration of the arts."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------




1 comment:

mrr said...

hey guy - your work gets even more keast like - so cool - mrr